Thursday, January 5, 2012

One-Year Appointment

Gracie's one-year appointment was earlier this week.  She is in an odd stage right now.  See, she went and stayed with her Nana and Papa for about 4 days.  I was very grateful for this because that gave my husband and I a couple of days to ourselves AND it gave me a couple of days to plan a surprise baby shower.  :)  There was only one problem. 

I missed her.  Like, a lot. 

But enough about me, that girl came back with a double chin and an attitude.  The first thing I noticed about her was that A. she looked a little bigger (in FOUR days!!!) and B. they hadn't fed her any of her baby food...yeah. 

Thanks, mom. 

The next thing I realized was that when she pointed at the M&Ms and said, "Whassaa?" (her little version of "What's that?" or "I want that") and her daddy told her, "no, you can't have M&Ms" she FLIPPED OUT.  That lip grew like Bubba Gump's on a shrimp boat and her little blue eyes were all Niagra Falls up in my garage.  Holy cow, my kid is spoiled. 

Thanks, mom. 

Anyway, so I was totally expecting her doctor's appointment to be a bit embarrassing.  (Sidenote - my kid went from the 10th percentile when she was born to the 95th at 2 months.  THAT, my friends, was embarassing.  Needless to say, we overfed her in the first 2 months.)  We've been working since then to undo what we did.  Not that a higher percentile is BAD per se, it's just that we didn't want her getting any HIGHER on that chart.  :) 

At 9 months, she was 22 pounds.  At 12 months she was 22 pounds 9 ounces.  She was 30 inches long.  Both those are the 75th percentile. 

!!!!!

That's the lowest percentile she's had since she was 2 weeks old.  I was so proud. 

Shots.  Suck. 

And lastly, since Gracie hadn't walked much (other than a couple of steps on her own) before the appointment, I asked our doctor if it was anything I needed to be worried about or if there was anything I should do that would help her.  She said that no, of course there was nothing wrong - every baby walks in their own time.  Then she glanced at her hips.  She murmured something about, "see if there's anything wrong with her hips here" and my heart totally stopped. 

Well I won't work up your anticipation.  She just looked her hips over really well and moved them all around and said that she looked just perfect!  (Oh Lord, thank you.)  AND just tonight she took 5 steps in a row!  Hooray!  And yesterday she took one that was totally on her own, no egging on from mom or dad at all.  She just decided to take a step all by herself.  She's getting brave enough to lift those feet up off the floor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment