Saturday, November 12, 2011

Pinterest Successes and Failures

I love me some Pinterest.  I've recently been able to try a thing or two on there and wanted to put out my opinion on a few things: 

Lemon Crinkle Cookies - This was one of the first things I ever pinned.  I love lemon.  Hubby says, "Lemon is not dessert!" but I make it anyway.  :)  These were yummy-licious...the first day...and the second day.  But by the 3rd day, they got pretty dry and very "crinkley".  I guess I asked for it.  I would recommend these for a nice little party or event of some sort.  I do not recommend these for the cookies that you bake and then they sit out on a plate and you and your family snack on them for days at a time.  They dry out so quickly.

Crusted Chicken stuffed with Ricotta, Spinach, Tomatoes, and Basil - I had way way high hopes for this one.  LOOK AT IT.  Seriously.  Look.  I'll wait.

Looks delish, right?  Well, it tasted very bland.  I even added extra salt, PLUS mozzarella and extra Parmesan cheese.  It was fine.  Hubs even asked to have it again, but "without that green and red stuff" at which I said to myself, "great, he wants me to make it again but take out all the healthy stuff".  That's my husband for ya.  <3

Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookie Bars - Oooh...yum.  These were rich, gooey, yummy and way unhealthy.  But I would remake them.  The changes I would make would be to bake the bottom layer before putting the chocolate and top yellow cake mix layer on top.  It was sooo gooey and just wasn't cooked at all.  I ended up baking it for an extra 15 or 20 minutes and it still wasn't done.  Also, I would cut them into smaller pieces.  I used a 9x9 and I am almost ashamed to say that I cut 9 pieces from the pan.  Almost ashamed.  Let's just say I couldn't even eat a whole piece and I've got a sweet tooth like nobody's business.  Cut 'em small folks.  You won't regret it.

Cake Mix Cookies - There are many variations to these.  My personal recipe that I used most recently was a boxed cake mix, 2 eggs, 1/3 c vegetable oil, 1 bag of candy chips.  Mix it all up, bake at 350 for about 8-10 minutes.  Easiest.  Cookies.  Ever.  And I'm telling you - there are SO many different variations of mixes/chips, the possibilities are practically endless:
  • Dark Chocolate and White Chocolate Chips
  • Milk Chocolate with Reese's Pieces.  
  • Spice Cake with Cinnamon chips
  • Rainbow with White Chocolate Chips
  • Red Velvet with White Chocolate Chips
  • Yellow with Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (YUM!)
  • Devil's Food with Andes Mint Chips
  • Carrot with Butterscotch Chips
  • White with M&Ms
  • Lemon with Powdered Sugar dusting
  • Cherry cake with Cherry Chip frosting
  • Strawberry with Lemon Glaze (think strawberry lemonade)
And you can probably think of like, 80 more than that yourself.  I'm telling you - if you're in a bind, needing a quick dessert, give this a try.  All you really need is a boxed cake, chips of some sort, eggs and vegetable oil. And a stove.  That's it!  And those yellow cake/semi-sweet chocolate chips cookies are just like normal chocolate chip cookies.  They could pass for cookies that you spent hours slaving over.


DIY Spray Painted Soap Dispenser - This was my first major pinterest fail.  First of all, I think I am just too impatient.  I'm sure that's the major problem in this relationship.  But second of all, I tried to paint a layer, then put on a sticky letter, then paint the brown like I wanted it on the outside, then peel off the layer, leaving the bottom layer as the "W" (my initial of my last name) but it just peeled off all the paint.  And.  AND!  I have streaks, followed by spots of no pain whatsoever on my bottle.  AND!  It scrapes off so easily that I did this just over a week ago and it's already peeling in some places.  And I'm not exactly rough with my soap dispenser if you know what I mean.  Failure.

I also made my own chalkboard paint and painted a big piece of wood yesterday.  I'll let you know how that goes once I give it a shot.  I will say I was expecting navy blue, but those Apple Barrel paints aren't quite as accurate as I was thinking they were.  :S

No comments:

Post a Comment