Monday, October 24, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup

I'm feeling generous (and I've been pinteresting a LOT lately) so I'm going to put out my own personal recipe of Chicken Tortilla Soup.  And because I'm hungry and just can't stop thinking about food.  Thank YOU pinterest. 

I must warn you, I'm one of those "pinch of this, handful of that" cooks.  I can't remember the last time I used a teaspoon.  Occasionally a tablespoon, but never a teaspoon. 

Chicken Tortilla Soup


·         1 whole chicken, cooked
·         48 oz. chicken broth
·         2-3 cans of cream of chicken soup
·         Handful of grated cheddar cheese
·         ½ c. salsa
·         Splash of lime juice
·        
·         1 can corn, drained
·         1 can black beans, drained
·         1-2 jalepenos
·        
·         Toppings:  Sour Cream, Avocado, Cheddar Cheese, Tomato, Green Onions, Homemade Tortilla Chips, etc. 
In a large crock pot, (or big stovetop pot) mix chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, salsa, chili powder, ½ can of beans, ½ can of corn, lime juice and grated cheddar cheese.  Take the remaining black beans and corn and blend until smooth (this is used to thicken the soup some, so if you can’t do it it’s not the end of the world).  Dice the jalepeno into very small chunks or blend (I prefer the blend method).  In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the Velveeta until smooth.  Add to soup.  Pull apart the cooked chicken and put into the soup.  Serve when it has warmed to your liking. 
ALSO, if you want to know how I make my homemade tortilla chips, I use flour tortillas (I cheat and just buy them from the store :s), cut them into strips (use a pizza cutter ;) ) brush with olive oil (or spray with canola oil...I have cheats for everything), sprinkle with salt, chili powder, pepper, or lime juice.  My favorite so far is chili powder and lime juice.  Bake in the oven at 300 for oh...10 minutes or so.  If they're not to your liking, go a little longer.  (I warned you, this is how I cook.) 

1 T chili powder
1/3 – ½ block Velveeta cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment